Thursday, April 24, 2008

Six months or so ago ...

I know, I know. We're slowly working up to the 24th, which was a Wednesday, and here it already is six months from that day of birth.

What day are we on now? We've finished Monday night, and now it's time to review Tuesday.

But I haven't posted in awhile because I'm scared of what awaits. After I tell you about the tests and tests (you might remember the tests from the other posts? Yeah, I'm going to repeat myself), I'll have to tell you about the C-section. And then the tiny baby in the plastic box. And I'm still not sure I want to go back there yet. So I'm dragging my feet.

Tuesday.

My sister had brought some things from home. A photo of my son was my most important request, but that deodorant came in close second. Because by Tuesday, I was feeling seriously grody. I hadn't had a shower since Saturday or even the opportunity to sponge bath. When the technician came in to listen to my innards, I told him I'd give him a million dollars just to hand me my deodorant. (Nurses, you put up with a lot, cuz this was one stinky chick!)

At some point, though, the nurse came in and told me I might be able to take a bath "later." In the meantime, she brought me some toothpaste and a toothbrush, along with that thing to spit in. (Another shout-out for the nurses here, for having to carry people's spit.) And she brought me towels and a basin of warm water and a bar of soap and

I felt.

So.

Immensely.

Grateful.

I remember vividly thinking how beautiful a moment it was, this basic luxury of being able to care for myself, to clean myself. That from that very moment, I would learn to appreciate every little thing in life. That I'd never complain about anything because that basic need had been denied to me and now I was getting to have it. I just wanted to wash my body.

At some point I did get to have a full-on bath. Maybe it was Wednesday morning? It was even more glorious, even as I cautiously carried my drugged and IV'd body into the bathroom and into the tub. I think I cleaned my hair three or four times.

During Tuesday's day, I also had someone who came and listened to different innards — my heart — with this somewhat painful little device that poked into my bones and skin. I'm trying to remember how I passed the day, other than phone calls to family and to work. I'm trying to remember so much that's falling away.

I'm going to stop for now, I think. Next time, I'll tell you about Mike Rowe, and about the doctor who came in late Tuesday night to do an ultrasound ... and exclaimed loudly, "The baby is breathing!"

No comments: